DS4OERS (PAC) Recommended teaching strategies and activities

Join the conversation sharing ideas and advice on effective teaching strategies and activities in your subject by answering one or more of the following questions:

• What teaching strategy did you choose for your lesson plan, and why will this be effective in your context?
  • What activities have you found most effective for teaching the topic of your lesson?
  • What types of activities work best for this topic in your context?
  • Are there any teaching strategies you find useful that are not included in the list above?
  • What advice or tips do you have for fellow teachers when selecting teaching strategies?

Feel free to “like” any posts or respond with advice from your own experience.

2 Likes

Hello Sir, I have used digital teaching as I have observed children learn faster with audio visuals a well as hands on learning. so my lesson plan contains some video clips, songs and stories which have CC logo.

Hi @sharon80

Thanks for sharing. Good to see the variety of CC licensed materials you have incorporated into your lesson plan.

What kinds of activities have you found useful in your context to promote hands on learning?

In teaching accounting or economics at year 12 and 13 level, I have been using and will use digital teaching in my lesson plan where teaching will take place via Google Meet and my lesson will be in PowerPoint presentation where notes will be shown and discussed and activity illustration done. During the session, I will have calculations which will be done by students when I display questions on PowerPoint and students will be selected to answer questions via chat or verbally. I will give an evaluation on Google Form or Kahoot at the end of my lesson since it is free and evaluation response is immediate. I will be interested in learning any other teaching strategy that can make my lesson interesting keeping in mind data cost to students and teachers and platforms that should be free and readily available.

I use PPT voice over recording which students can access on the School Google drive on FB. I find this as an effective strategy to use to reach out to the students in this pandemic because anyone who has missed out on Zoom Classes can always refer to the PPT voice over recording.

Bula Sir.

Apart from PPTs Voice Over Recording, Zoom classes are conducted where teachers can share screen and use a pointer to locate specific areas on the map or when labelling diagrams.

With the recent launching of our School Moodle, I am still trying familiarise myself with the Apps available on Moodle.

2 Likes

Moodle is an outstanding open source tool. Of interest, curious to know if teachers have been experimenting with H5P interactive content? There is a Moodle plugin for H5P and applying open licenses would be a good way for teachers to share useful content elements.

3 Likes

Speaking personally, I’m not a big fan of “so-called” “free” technologies. Ultimately users are paying with their data for these tools.

There must be better ways for Pacific countries to collaborate on the hosting of Free and Open Source, cloud-based solutions so that we protect the data of our children but at the same time implement more sustainable technically solutions for the future. I’d be interested to here what teachers think.

2 Likes

We had no choice but to reach out to our students during the lockdown. The school provided the Moodle platform that was protecting the children’s data. Then the Administration had a discussion and we started with Google Meet and the other platforms to reach out to our students.

Yes most times the teachers taking online classes are paying for their data and using own gadgets here in Fiji and students who don’t have data and gadgets and those in remote areas are not able to attend the online classes.

I totally agree that there should be a Free and Open Source for the Pacific countries which should be sustainable and regular professional developments to be carried out. Also more awareness must be created so more people come and contribute in such forums.

1 Like

Geeta - totally agree and understood. Continuity of education during lockdown took precedence and we must do the best we can with what we have to serve our children.

Just thinking out loud - I think that Pacific Small Island Developing States (SIDS) have a unique strategic advantage to play a global leadership role in hosting shared Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) infrastructure in the cloud in a post-COVID world. Think of a cooperative model where technical staff from Pacific SIDS work together in hosting the technologies we need to support our learners.

The region has a spirit of meaningful collaboration, and taking “small” populations of each state into account, the returns on shared infrastructure would be huge.

Working together we can make a difference and show the rest of the world how to do it :innocent:

1 Like

Yes Sir. My charges are the 5 year olds so my lessons contain a lot of speech to engage children in language development as well as the other fundamental areas of development. So to speak, for example, to teach number sense or ordering, a video song is put in the lesson plan where children are required to watch, sing and dance along. Likewise ,same is done for creative arts.
The plan should be designed in order to attract and engage child attention.

2 Likes

I totally agree - selecting appropriate resources and media aligned to achieve the lesson outcomes is a fine art required of professional teachers.

In an OER world, teachers who can find or create resources to replace proprietary or closed materials (sometimes used in breach of copyright) are contributing to a better world - because these OER lesson plans can be shared for the benefit of others.

Hi all,

It is quite interesting to observe many share about effective teaching strategies and activities. My apologies to say that I have left teaching quite a long time ago. I used to teach mathematics and would like to share a simple approach that I often used in teaching a concept in mathematics in the topic of ratios and proportion and sharing. So I normally started this lesson with tokstori about how the people in the villages of the Solomon Islands can organise a feast. From the feasting, I relate that into sharing of the food according to the number of groups/tribes/clans of people that are part of the feast. From there I move into the sharing the quantity to be shared in the different ratios. I guess now with the availability of other learning resources online, I may show a video of feasting from a Solomon Islands village and then translate that into ways of simplifying the ratios and sharing. I guess also sharing is part of the Pacific people so am sure, many children will easily relate to this concept.

1 Like

Great concept for lesson on ratios @s95007810. This could be developed into a great exemplar OER lesson for DS4OERS. For example, you could:

1. Develop an OER image based resource for the problem statement / introduction of the lesson incorporating images of a Solomon Island feast to introduce the challenge of dividing food portions.
  2. An OER diagram remix to develop a worksheet students can complete to practice applying ratios.
  3. A video graphic including a video of a Solomon Islands village feast - possibly useful as an advance organizer or even a summary of the lesson?

These three resources can be incorporated into the final lesson. Published as OER, and with careful design for remix, the lesson resource could be contextualized for other Pacific Islands, for example replacing the images with culturally relevant alternatives.

Great example - I hope you will consider developing this lesson with the supporting resources as an exemplar output for the DS4OER course. Even though you are no longer teaching in the classroom, this would be a wonderful gift for Pacific math teachers.

1 Like

Thank you for encouraging me. So now the challenge is to get those resources and translate them into a relevant OER. I am looking forward for more direction and support.

1 Like
  1. For me I prefer cooperative approach. I use this to allow my students to actively involve themselves in the lessons that I prepare. Lot of respond from the students may at times vary. Some can be on point and some can be way out of context to the subject at hand. This allows me to be able to identify if my content learning is achieved or not.
  2. Activities I randomly choose from all activities that best suit the topic of the day. I need my students to enjoy their learning activities. Most of all discussion of right and wrong answers is very important to me after attempting and marking.
  3. Mostly comprehension activities. Because this gives me the chance to evaluate if my LO is achieved or not.
  4. I think its all of the above mentioned.
  5. The only tip I can give from my experience is be patient with your students and choose what you think best suit your class.
1 Like

Hello sir,
I usually have group discussion on the topic for the week in Social Science before the lockdown in which the students will prepare for their group presentation. A rubric will be used during the presentation and discussion will be followed using the information provided by each group with pictures for clarification from different sources. Then the students will watch a video being downloaded to help them understand more about the topic.
During the lockdown, the use of Google meet to discuss notes with the students and videos to help them understand more about the topic as we are doing online classes.

1 Like

As a special education teacher i deal with one to one teaching.With that one to one teaching i also include videos and in signlanguage clas i use prezi.

2 Likes

Hi
I was a computer teacher before joining the tertiary institute as an Education Technologist where we mainly conducted Moodle workshops and training for lecturers. In both scenarios, I preferred activity-based learning. The learning by doing activities encourages active participation through practical activities such as setting up assignment rubrics in the assignment dropbox or setting up an online lab sign-up. The best way to understand technology is to practice and this can be implemented via activity-based learning because this strategy helps learners learn and retain information.

4 Likes

Hi, i have finish teaching 10 years ago, most of my time I use interaction teaching, allowing student to discussion in class, share with each other.

2 Likes

I teach mathematics and physics. For the students I teach utilizing whatever I think necessary during face to face and also during this COVID-19 like a white board and white board marker at home, charts and IT (videos) that I researched and believe to be appropriate for a topic with respect to the learning outcome and the content knowledge which requires some clarification. The digital era of teaching is paramount because it allows learning to continue without any disruption. Some ways to improve my lesson plan is I cooperating my students interest, selectively choosing activities that has a purpose or is meaningful for the lesson, and I try to improve my lesson plans after feedbacks

2 Likes