LIDA102 General forum for digital citizenship

Please post any general questions and contributions for the Digital citizenship (LiDA102) micro-course by clicking on the reply button below.

Greeting! Is there specific spot poll for LIDA 102?

@Emphahrs

Apology for the delayed response - I missed this question. No - we are using a general spot poll for all of the LiDA courses.

What is the role of science educators in digital citizenship education?

Good morrow fellow citizens of the cyber realm!
Today I embark on my journey through the wonderous landscape that is LiDA102. Hence I am conducting the obligatory introductory remarks and testing my accounts prior to commencing. viva #LiDA102

1 Like

Iā€™m happy to proceed to #LIDA102; Iā€™m just clicking on all accounts to establish if they are still active as a way of introducing myself.

Itā€™s good to see familiar names.

AMSN

Still trying to figure the value and use of the ā€˜hide imageā€™ icon and the "ALTā€™ code? If the images are of your own, do we still have to consider the two posting standards?

@bkabuati23,

Itā€™s about respecting the community.

For example, members of the community may be vegan or vegetarian. Showing photos of food containing meat could be offensive to some vegans, but not to others.

So in this example, it would be more respectful to hide the image, so only those who are interested in seeing meat dishes can click to reveal the image if they want to see it.

A blind person will use a screen reader to provide audio for the ā€œALTā€ descriptions associated with images. If there is no ALT text, a Blind person will not be able to know what is in the image. To promote accessibility of content, it is best practice to provide ALT descriptions for images.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes yes very true indeed. Many thanks.