Good suggestion Tiare - to change the name so that it depicts the roles of the SIP. Also, who is the SIP answerable to? Perhaps they could also be reminded to perform all their roles fully by the authority they report to.
Not enough consultants were done. There was not enough time given for consultation. The only platform for consultation was a online platform. Not everyone is access to internet, especially in the interiors of the country. So people who had access to internet were able to take part in the consultant. No face to face consultant were held. So the motive of policy change was not been delivered to everyone who were supposed to be part of the policy change. Resources where also a constraining factor. Not enough resources were available to educate people on the change.
I like the idea of the SBMC and the composition your Committee in particular Halliru. Involving community leaders in the running of the school is important in aligning school and community activities.
The policy is meant to address discipline issues among the learners and create a conducive
The policy is meant to address discipline issues among the learners, and to create a conducive safe learning environment.
The Policy that I have described earlier is the “Policy on external examination and Assessment”. It was intended to make clear procedures, expectations, rules, and protocols that relate to assessment matters. It is also intended for the guidance of students, teachers, and parents.
Based on my evaluation, it seems that the policy is succeeding in meeting its intended goals of providing clear procedures, expectations, rules, and protocols that relate to assessment matters, and guiding students, teachers, and parents
Some of the reasons for this policy- National code of conduct
- Enactment of new legislation that impacts school and children.
- Increase use and accessibility of the internet and smart mobile phones which led to increase numbers of infractions with cyber bullying
- With the introduction to School Based Management model for school- new approaches to deal with infractions such as parent conference, mediation, community service, in school intervention and restitution
4.Dress code for teachers
- Standards of behavior
- Integrity in public life
7.Discrimination and harassment
8.Obligations- on attendance, punctuality,
lesson planning, assessment and evaluation of students
- Standards of professionalism
Is the policy succeeding- Data driven evidence is needed to answer this questions from the Ministry of education.
But there now exist a written document too guide new teachers, students and parents on their role and responsibilities.
As a Head of Department, I can give some feedback as it pertains to my school, many issues have escalated with the increased use of technology and the ease to get information, these cases with teachers are not being dealt with quickly and sometimes comes up after a person has retired. The cyber crime unit sometimes linger to deal with issues.
So, the policy is there but the action to deal with infractions takes too long in the courts system.
Monitoring of social media pages of students and teachers is not done with much effort since many areas are under staff and lack resources.
Alternatives measures to use as other options to students’ suspensions are not working since the same students are back doing the same infractions or even different ones without really feeling the consequences of their actions.
I believe it is a step in the right direction to have this document for all involved in the profession and for the school stakeholders, but monitoring and evaluation is key to collect data to know what is really happening.
The problems addressed by the policy are:
Missing marks that lead to students not graduating at the time when they are supposed to graduate.
Delayed submission of marks by lecturers after marking
This is a contentious issues that requires policy response. I agree with you.
ODFEL IN NIGERIA POLYTECHNIC.
This brilliant idea was birthed during the COVID 19 era. It was aimed at addressing the massive shortage of carrying capacity in the Nigeria tertiary institutions. The policy was aimed at providing affordable and accessible education to all Nigerians especially at the polytechnic level.
Some of the reasons the policy was conceived was to provide the following:
- Afford citizens of all class, age and social level the opportunity to acquire formal education through distance learning.
- Address the issue of low carrying capacity in the Nigeria tertiary institutions for willing citizens.
- The policy was also design to afford people who are desirous of gaining polytechnic degrees but were facing numerous challenges.
- The policy was aimed at providing boundless education for all
I can say the policy is achieving the aim for which it was set up. A lot of Nigeria Polytechnics have adopted the policy as presented by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).
A whole lot of students have applied and gotten admission to study different courses as offered to study under the ODFEL mode. This is the future of education in Nigeria.
I will say this is a very vital policy.
Often times, people are harassed at the workplace and they are not bold enough to speak up. But with a brilliant policy as highlighted above, it will go a long way in curbing it.
I picked up a policy in Learning Activity 4 which is Policy on Open Education Resource. The following problems were identified which I would like to share:
- Geographical Location - OER was created to bridge the gap between rural to urban migration of students
- Facilities/Resources - evidence of resources not available and facilities not fully equipped to support teaching and learning
- School Dropouts - due to boredom and monotonous content focused severely on academic rather than balancing it holistically in the approaches to teaching and learning
- Literacy/Numeracy Level - there was sufficient evidence that students struggled to cope with English and Maths they progress from one level to another
The problems the policy intends to address are as follows:
- Integration of ICT in TVET into teaching activities.
- ODFEL programmed require blended forms of learners support that institutions are not familiar with.
- The need to make available appropriate teaching and learning resources for ODFEL and improve attitude towards ODFEL necessitates development and use of quality teaching and learning resources in TVET
- Continuous and competence based Assessment and not only summative assessment of learners competencies through examinations.
- Quality Assurance
- Building Human resource capacity
- Social Equity etc
In my own opinion, The policy is succeeding in its set goals because this course is one of ODFEL programs which is aimed at equipping the human resource in institutions.
Secondly, participants are assessed based on continuous and competencies. These and several goals are met by ODFEL
The problems the policy on unpunctuality intended to address include;
- Poor performance
- Demotion etc
The policy has met its intended goals because, it makes the students to be punctual and improve in their performances and more disciplined than before.
I totally agree to your view.It needs urgent attention due to these children 's attitude towards their school work.
FTRA needs to be reviewed.If government implement the online registration due to location.It also saves time and money rather than doi g manual registration after every 3 years.
The policy intended to put a stop to incessant strikes action at the University of learning and solve man power in the system and irregularity in salary payment portal
the policy is still a work in progress but there is a likelihood of a stop in the problem when the problem is fully implemented.
It is very correct that ODFeL policy is achieving the set objectives in terms of social equity, and building of human capital as we are currently doing. Many schools are now leveraging on the policy of ODFeL which avails many school students who are busy or were denied admission by the admission board of opportunity of social equity.
Wow I’ve never heard of school resources disappearing upon provision but if this case is really happening, then security measures need to be tightened around the school. Even follow ups of the whereabouts of the school resources should be constant.