Making your assessment authentic

1. Recently I have prepared Term End Internal Assessment for my Year 2 students which is in form of summative assessment. Usually I use variety of questions for my year level students such as True or False, Yes or No, Matching and Multiple choice keeping in mind the ability of my students learning. Students grade will be worked out according to their results.

2. Assessment task is Traditional type whereby Students sit for the assessment paper and Teacher gives the instructions. As per the assessment timetable students are to complete the paper with in the given time frame. Day/ Date / Subject all mentioned in the timetable for students to prepare well for the assessment.

1 Like

Prepared Annual Examination for my students and it is the traditional form of assessment.

The assessment I have designed is more of a teacher structured assessment and this is where students are asked to recall or remembered what they had learned so they can answer the questions.
My assessment task is traditional.

I have designed an assignment for my science class based on how plants transpire. Students were allowed to cary out experiment by using plastics to cover plant leaves to observe the way plants transpire. They were also asked to identify two tubes ( phloem and xylem) that transports water in plants and locate and explain the function of stomata. Compared back to the table i think my assignment is an authentic assignment. Since it allows students to apply their knowledge and skills to create, observe and do things in real life.

1 Like

In one of my assessment students were required to formulated expected learning outcomes in a given topic in Biology, search for appropriate OER to teach the topic, explaining t the teacher will use the OER to facilitate learning and what the learners will do to construct knowledge from the OER.
The assessment task is authentic at it is based on real world experiences of the teaching profession.

1 Like

I have prepared mid term examination and annual examination which is assessment for learning and it is the traditional assessment

Ronil, your revised assessment task was really good and authentic. It is a clear demonstration of how with some bit of creativity we can engage our learners on authentic learning activities and authentic forms of assessment.

Most of the examples given in the forum are of the traditional form of assessment. This is what common in many instances. A good way to transform those forms of assessment into authentic assessment is to think of situations where learners need to use the knowledge you are testing - then put learners into that real life situation or create a scenario which depicts the real life situation.

For Agriculture class students had to identify parts of implements. we use traditional methods of assessment where we have test and exams

Looking back to the assessment I had designed, it falls under a traditional type as students answered questions by recalling what they had learnt.

I have prepared mid term examination and annual examination which is assessment for learning and it is the traditional assessment

I used Assessment of learning (summative) Preparing Annual Examination paper, and it is the traditional assessment.

Prepared summative test. It was traditional.

Iā€™m a Kindergarten Teacher and I always used Traditional assessment to assess my student. Like for numeracy if I want to test them on their number recognition, I have to place 10 numbers on the table and children to choose the correct number that I have mentioned. For example, if I call out number 7 than the child to look on the 10 numbers and choose which of those numbers is number 7.

I have a project component which requires the students to simulate fluid flow over a house using software. This is authentic assessment because of the listed reasons:

1. they have to setup the simulation in order to get the answer. so they have to perform a task.
  2. flow around a house a real life problem.
    3.they have to construct the model to get the answer. but most importantly they have to make sense of answer by applying their knowledge.
  3. the work is learner driven with minimal instructor guidance.
  4. they provide actual simulated results,

I am in the process of assessing students on reading to determine their reading level. From my view its an authentic way assessment as students perform while reading construct as in build and form sentences and its is student structured.

1 At the moment my students are doing literacy and numeracy assessment which are:
a. Waddington diagnostic standard reading test
b. Waddington numeracy module test
c. Literacy and Numeracy tracker.
I have also prepared short tests for my students to gauge their learning. After these assessments children receive feedbacks and I also design remedial for their improvement in weak areas.
2. It is a traditional type of assessment but in numeracy I also use authentic where students respond verbally and use resources to answer questions in tracker.

Prepared Annual Examination. This is a traditional type of assessment where the assessment is teacher structured. The students are required to recall or remember what they have learnt.

Think of one assessment you have designed for your learners in your subject area.Use the comparison in Table 2 to decide if your assessment task is traditional or authentic.Share your thoughts in the discussion forum.

One assessment that I have designed is a research which makes up 20% of a summative assessment for semester 2. Students are given a task with steps and guidelines to follow in carrying out this task. This task is to be completed within two weeks and compiled into a research booklet for marking.

I would suggest it is authentic since it is learner structured.