Rigour of assessment

[quote=“likamonu05, post:11, topic:4255”]
One thing that I can improve on after reviewing Bloom’s is that to ensure that designing an assessment task should cover most if not all of these domains. This is important because it will improve the reliability of the tas
I assisted my Junior Year 7 Science teacher to review the Science Assignment which was a formative assessment. By reviewing the Blooms taxonomy with a test specification plan , the question and activities involved the high order questions .With the feedback , a new assignment was set moving from the traditional setting to more authentic assessment. The students were required to work in pair supported with a rubric with clear guidelines and daily check in for the 1 week project.

Task-End of Term Test
Upon analyzing,one way to improve the task is by creating questions to cover all 6 levels which will progressively develop Students thinking skills from basic knowledge recall to higher-order thinking and problem-solving abilities.

1. One of the assessment task I have selected is the Mid Term Assessment. Since I am teaching lower primary, I think I can only use remembering, understanding and application questions from Bloom’s Taxonomy.
  2. How I can improve the task?
    Few analyzing questions can be included. Looking at the current situation, Years 1, 2 and 3 do not have examinations. There are no blueprints prepared. But if we create Assessment as Learning, other parts of Bloom’s Taxonomy can be included.

By the way, you can also use high cognitive levels of the Bloom’s taxonomy even if you low grades, it just depends on the nature of the task you give. Remember Jerome Bruner’s advice: Any subject can be taught effectively in some intellectually honest form to any child at any stage of development .”

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. Anything to make teaching and assessment better for learners.

I prepared Annual Examination as summative assessment for my class. We use to prepare blueprint to design questions for the assessment of our class. The six cconcepts and skills were covered in my blueprint (remember, understand, apply, analyse, evaluate and create). To make a balanced exam paper these six core concepts must be achieved.
To improve the task, as teachers we need to focus more on the six concepts and skills as stated in the Blooms Taxonomy theory so we cater from above average child to inclusive in our class.

1. I prepared Annual Examination as summative assessment for my class. We use to prepare blueprint to design questions for the assessment of our class. The six cconcepts and skills were covered in my blueprint (remember, understand, apply, analyse, evaluate and create). To make a balanced exam paper these six core concepts must be achieved.

2. To improve the task, as teachers we need to focus more on the six concepts and skills as stated in the Blooms Taxonomy theory so we cater from above average child to inclusive in our class.

The assessment task that i have prepared for my class is Annual Examination. I’ve been using Blooms Taxonomy method in which a blueprint is prepared before the preparation of exam papers so that it enables us to prepare a balanced paper in all subject areas.
Examining the assessment task using Blooms Taxonomy covers different levels of cognitive domains which are:
-Remembering
-Understanding
-Applying
-Analyzing
-Evaluating
-Creating

I have been using bloom’s taxonomy this year for my assessment unlike past years i have been teaching. Every schools in Papua new Guinea was informed by the department of education in the country to use bloom’s taxonomy to assess students learning. But only some schools take into consideration by using bloom’s taxonomy and iam fortunate to be in one of those schools. I use bloom’s taxonomy in every test both formative and summative including all assessment task, and i found out that it is the best method to assess students learning. I use knowledge, understanding, applying and sometimes analyzing questions to assess my students according to their learning and grade level. Compared with their result and performance i believe some areas that need to be considered for improvements are as follows;

1. Every students must be thought well with clear understanding of the content that will be tested. This will help them to attempt every level of questioning in bloom’s taxonomy. They can abe to evaluate and create things if they’ve been thought well and have better understanding of that knowledge or content.

2. Every test and assessment must be tested or given according to the level of learners. Every students have different capabilities of learning things. The assessment must be based on what they have learn, expierence, make and atleast have ideas on what they are going to do. We cannot forced some to do things he or she doesn’t know.

The assessment during the lesson includes activities which students complete to know about their understanding from the topic learnt. During the learning students also do formative assessment and at the end of the learning process do summative assessment. When summative assessment is prepared table of specifications is also made so that different questions can be prepared. The table of specification includes the content and skills to be tested which is from the blooms taxonomy. During the preparation of the examination the skills tested incorporates the different types of learners. When table of specification is prepared the marks are allocated for different topics taught depending on the number of lessons.
When the table of specification was prepared from the blooms taxonomy it mostly included the lower levels where the higher levels can also be included. To improve the preparation for table of specification mark allocation and questions on higher level of thinking can be incorporated. When students answer the lower level questions their understanding on the topic can be identified where higher level of thinking questions can enable them to apply their knowledge. The questions prepared for the examination can include advanced level of questions so that students can reflect on their understanding and complete the assessment.

One of the assessment task that I have prepared for my learners is Annual Exam. This exam was prepared after making the blueprint which had all the six levels of the Blooms taxonomy. However , since it is a primary school more emphasis is given on remembering, understanding and applying. The other levels are tested as the child progresses to upper primary.
This task can be improved if we also emphasize on other 3 levels of Blooms taxonomy analyze , evaluate and create. This will broaden children’s knowledge as we will be teaching them such questions and at the same time students will also be able to perform better and score better marks in these sections.

We at primary schools also use Bloom’s Taxonomy in preparation of assessments to see that a balance of concepts and skills are tested.( Remember, understand, apply, analyze, evaluate and create). The concepts and skills tested depends on the year level. For lower primary the first 3 concepts and skills are mostly tested and as the year level increases the other 3 are included.
To improve the assessment task a variety of assessments methods are to be included to assess all the concepts and skills of Bloom’s taxonomy.

To improve the understanding level of students creating questions should include all of 6 levels that is from knowledge to higher order of thinking and problem solving abilities.

I have prepared annual examination for my class. The blue print is designed so appropriate questions are prepared using the Bloom’s Taxonomy:
Remembering,Understanding,Applying,Analyzing,Evaluatingand Creating

I used to teach accounting class, from junior to senior level. Teaching accounting concepts is something the learners find it hard to understand.
Most of my assessments, wether beginner or old timer always use doing, creating or simply put - practical type of assessment. I have read and attend PDs on taxanomoy. The description in this course lesson is very well detailed and the levels of expected outcome as well as level of learning (from simple to complex) is well presented.
I can’t express how grateful I am part of this course. Next chance given to teach, I will use apply the table shown in fig5 as guiding plan to all my teaching lessons. Many thanks.

The assessment task that we conduct in our school is pre and post assessment for the new revised curriculum. The assessments are pre prepared and we as educators conduct it.

One way in which the task can be improved, is through designing it in such a way meets the pace of each child rather than comprising of foreign language that becomes difficult to meet the students ability.

Well said @vigneshp thank for the sharing.

Yes very true. I guess using the table format shared in our lesson, and with suggested list of items am sure will give the assessment you desired? Thank you and Cheers @arti

1 Like

As a teacher, we all know that Bloom Taxonomy is the best method to balance exam papers. Since, I’m teaching lower primary, I focused only on the first 3 levels which is Remember, Understanding an Apply. I noticed these first 3 level match the capabilities of my learners.

Hello

Please find below the breakdown for my software based project.

There is room for improvement.