Assessment in learning

Stop and think

1. What do you understand by assessment?
  2. At what stage do you assess your learners in your course and why do you assess them?

Share your answers to these questions in the discussion forum.

1 Like
  1. Assessment is a process of evaluating students learning and it gives feedback on a teachers
    teaching and students understanding on the concepts taught.
  2. I believe assessment should start from the time teaching begins but method of assessment shall suit child’s age and understanding.
2 Likes

Assessment in education refers to the process of collecting and evaluating information about a learner’s performance, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Assessment occurs at various stages of a course, including pre-assessment (before learning begins), formative assessment (during the learning process), and summative assessment (at the end of a course or unit). We assess learners to determine how well they are meeting specific learning objectives and standards, to provide feedback for improvement, to guide instructional decisions, and to evaluate the overall effectiveness of teaching and curriculum. Assessments help gauge progress, identify learning gaps, and ensure that educational goals are met.

2 Likes

Assessment is a systematic process of gathering, evaluating, and interpreting information and evidence about an individual’s or a group’s knowledge, skills, abilities, or performance. Its primary purpose is to measure, understand, and make informed judgments about what has been learned, achieved, or demonstrated within a specific context or set of criteria. Assessment plays a critical role in education.

Assessment is a crucial component of the education system and occurs at various stages to measure students’ progress, understanding, and achievement of learning objectives. So assessment is done before, during and after learning.

Assessing learners serves multiple essential purposes within the educational process, contributing to effective teaching, meaningful learning, and overall educational improvement.

1 Like

In education, assessment is the procedure for gathering and analyzing data regarding a learner’s performance, knowledge, skills, and capacities. Pre-assessment is done before learning begins, formative assessment is done while learning is happening, and summative evaluation is done at the end of a course or unit. We assess students to ascertain how effectively they are reaching particular learning standards and objectives, to offer feedback for development, to inform instructional choices, and to assess the overall efficacy of instruction and curriculum. Assessments support the achievement of educational objectives by gauging progress and revealing areas that still require improvement.

1 Like
  1. I understand that assessment is a way of evaluating my teaching . It shows how effectively I taught students . In addition , assessment will show the children’s understanding of the concepts taught. It will show how well they have learnt the concepts.

2.I assess students after completing a strand (formative assessment) and at the end of each term (summative assessment).

Assessment is a process of collecting and evaluating information about child’s performance.
Assessment occurs at different levels in a child’s school life. The method of assessment should differ as per child’s age and understanding.

Assessment is the teacher’s method of knowing if his/her leaners able to do what expected of him/her iro learning out come.

Assessment is a continuous and ongoing process. Leaners are to be continuously assessed - guided, monitored, directed, provide instant feedback and finally assessed summatively

Assessment in education is the ongoing process of gathering evidence of what each student actually knows, understands and can do.
Learners should be assessed at the end of every topic (Formative assessment) and the end of Term (Summative assessment).

Assessment is a systematic tool to identify how much learners have acquired knowledge and how effective the teacher’s strategies were.
Assessment is done after completing topics and end of terms.
I assess to find my waekness and also weaknesses of learners.

1 Like

Assessment is the ongoing process of gathering evidence of what each student actually knows, understands, and can do. In context to Fiji there are 2 types of assessment that is carried out and they are formative assessment that is on going and summative that is done at the end of the year.

Assessment is very important as it enables instructors to measure the effectiveness of their teaching by linking student performance to specific learning objectives. As a result, teachers are able to institutionalize effective teaching choices and revise ineffective ones in their pedagogy.

As teachers in this 21st century we need to support and observe children, assess their progress, and give feedback, and to set new targets .

1 Like
  1. Assessment is the process of evaluating and measuring a learner’s knowledge, skills, and understanding in a systematic and structured manner. It involves collecting data to determine the effectiveness of teaching and learning, allowing educators to make informed decisions about a student’s progress.

2. Assessment in my course occurs at various stages, including formative assessments during lessons to gauge understanding and provide feedback. Summative assessments are conducted at the end of units or courses to measure overall achievement. These assessments help monitor student progress, identify areas for improvement, and inform instructional decisions to enhance learning outcomes.

1. Assessment is the process of gathering and analyzing information about student learning in order to understand their progress, identify areas where they may need additional support, and make informed decisions about their instruction. It is an essential component of the teaching and learning process, as it provides both teachers and students with valuable feedback on how well students are mastering the course material.
    There are two main types of assessment:

Formative assessment is used to gather information about student learning during the learning process. It is used to identify areas where students may need additional support and to make adjustments to instruction as needed. Examples of formative assessment include exit tickets, quick writes, and observations.
Summative assessment is used to measure student learning at the end of a unit or course. It is used to determine whether students have mastered the course material. Examples of summative assessment include quizzes, tests, and final projects.

1. I assess my learners at various stages throughout my course. I use formative assessment to:
    Gauge students’ prior knowledge and understanding of the topic
    Identify any misconceptions or misunderstandings that students may have
    Monitor students’ progress towards learning objectives
    Provide students with feedback on their work
    Inform my instruction
    I use summative assessment to:

Determine whether students have mastered the course material
Assign grades
Provide students with a sense of closure on the unit or course.

Assessment is a process of collecting and evaluating information about child’s performance.
Assessment is a continuous and ongoing process. Learners are to be continuously assessed - guided, monitored, directed, provide instant feedback. Formative assessment is done at the end of every topic and Summative assessment the end of Term.

Assessment is an ongoing process of gathering evidence of what each student actually knows, understands and can do.It also refers to the process of collecting data and evaluating information about a learners performance, understanding and abilities.
Learners are to be assessed at the various stages of the course which includes:

1. Pre-Assessment- this is conducted before learning.
  2. Formative Assessment -this assessment is taken during the learning process.
  3. Summative Assessment- assessment is done at the end of the course.
    Assessment gives a clear feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of the students and teachers that helps to find the areas for improvement.

Assessment is to assess the child’s intellect. Assessment contains three types.

1. Diagnostic Assessment: Done to assess a child of their prior knowledge.
  2. Formative: Ongoing process of assessments during class time.
  3. Summative: Includes exams done at the end of terms.

Assessments are done to test the child cognitively. Not because we need to set the placing but to see who is lacking in certain areas of learning.

This really helps the child, memorise and learn what was taught in class. Helps them understand more.

Assessment in simple and general refers to a medium that is used to test the outcome of a knowledge of-n a material that is implemented for a specific goal.
  2. At what stage do you assess your learners in your course and why do you assess them?
    Assessment takes place continuously during the learning process, though assessment differs depending on the context such as informal and formal. Thus, within the course, learners are assessed formally at the end of topics, units, terms, semester as well as at specific level at the end of junior high school and senior high school. On the other, assessment takes place continuously through observations of various activities such as group work, presentations, exercises, class discussions etc.… One of the many reasons of carrying out assessments is to check that effective learning is taking place as well as learning objectives are achieved.
    • Assessment is more than grading. It’s about measuring the progress of student learning. Thus, assessment is defined as a “process of gathering data to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of student learning
    • At stage 4 and onwards students are assessed based on the learning content. The reason to carry out this type of assessment is that it is the systematic basis for making inferences about the learning and development of students. It is the process of defining, selecting, designing, collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and using information to increase students’ learning and development.

To me, assessment is a tool which we use to interpret the level of knowledge, skills gained by students for specific goal.
I have carried out assessments based on the two recommended which are formative assessments which is carried out during the process of teaching. This type of assessment is crucial because you are guiding the learners in a step by step ways. Through this you can identify specific area where students need help. So help is done at the same time. The other type of assessment is referred to as summative assessment. This is done to sum learners level of knowledge, skills after a whole unit of work. This is normally test several goals. This is beneficial for summing up assessment at the end of a course or unit of work.

Assessment is measuring the learning outcomes of students. What do they know after a lesson taught? Assess students to know the level of their performance which comes in a form of tests, assignments, quizzes, project, speech, and many more. The avenue whereby teacher judge, critics and analyze the strengths and weaknesses of students towards/in their learning process.

I normally assess my students at the end of the topic or lesson in a form of a quiz, tests, or assignment. Can come in short/long term assessment.

Assessment comes in many reasons;

1. For measurable marks.
  2. What/how much do they learn along the journey of their short term learning. This ties with how much they understand the concept.
  3. For reviewing purpose. I have to give assessment to check the learning outcomes. If the assessment does not meet the learning outcome I must refer to reviewing the topic or lesson.