Assessment in learning

1.Assessment is the enduring process of meeting evidence of what each student actually knows, understands, and can do.
2.Assessment occurs at various stages, with formative assessments during lessons to know the understanding and provide response. Summative assessments are conducted at the finish of courses to measure overall achievement.

Assessment means to evaluate your students, self or workers on trivial or core knowledge of a particular field.

Assessment could come in any stage or any form. Assignments is one among the best form of giving out assessment to students. It helps them consult more resources, observe and learn from different author providing uniquely similar explanations about concepts or ideas. Also, written test is a pretty cool way of testing the retention ability of your students. This also assess their ability to be creative in writing making reference to their ability to use good examples or analogy in explaining knowledge taught. Finally, examination is unarguably another major way of assessment. Although it comes with fear, expectations and all manners of anxiety, it is also a way to understand how confidence your students might be to face their fears and deliver maximally.

Assessment is the ongoing process of gathering evidence of what student actually knows, understand, and can do.
Since I am a lower primary teacher, formative assessment is common assessment method I used in day to day teaching. It allows me identify errors made by students and also correcting them during course of learning, and I believe it is the best technique to used for lower primary education.

I am happy to see that most of the posts in this forum show understanding of assessment as a process that takes place before, during and after learning. You correctly identified the purposes of assessing learners - to identify learning gaps and plan corrective measures, to establish learning gains, and to improve on teaching approaches.
The following definition given by one of you sums assessment very well:
We assess learners to determine how well they are meeting specific learning objectives and standards, to provide feedback for improvement, to guide instructional decisions, and to evaluate the overall effectiveness of teaching and curriculum. Assessments help gauge progress, identify learning gaps, and ensure that educational goals are met.

Assessment is the process of gathering and discussing information from multiple and diverse sources in order to develop a deep understanding of what students know, understand, and can do with their knowledge as a result of their educational experiences; the process culminates when assessment results are used to improve subsequent learning.

Assessment is conducted every fortnightly to gauge the understanding and learning is taking place. Literacy and Numeracy assessment is one of the important assessment for children in lower primary.

1. Assessment in education is the systematic process of documenting and using data on the knowledge, skill, attitudes and beliefs to refine programs and improve students learning. Itā€™s purpose is to improve students learning and development. Assessment as learning actively involves students in the learning process.

2. Assessment begins with the goals for students learning. I assess my learners in my course in the form of Formative assessment and Summative assessment. Formative assessment is carried out during the process of teaching such as conduction of quiz and through oral discussion. This helps me identify where the students need help. Summative assessment is done at the end of the course(Term) to identify learners level of knowledge, skills and performance.
    We use assessment in school to inform students of their progress and attainment. It also informs teachers about their impact on students and related to what teachers are actually teaching.

An assessment in education refers to the process of gathering information and evidence about a studentā€™s knowledge, skills, abilities, and understanding of a particular subject or topic. The primary purpose of assessments in education is to evaluate a studentā€™s learning progress, to determine the effectiveness of teaching methods and curriculum, and to make informed decisions about future instruction.

Assessment to me is any activity that helps to determine if learning has taken place. For instance, I can use a quick quiz to gage if students have learnt a concept. Assessments identify this and has the potential to help the instructor to modifying the teaching method if necessary. I use formative assessment during the lecture and lab sessions. While formative assessments in form of tests are normally given at the end.

Assessment is an ongoing process of gathering evidence of every individuals on what they know, what do they need to understand and what strategies to improve further.
I assess my students at the end of every topic and also after conducting summative assessment.

1 Like

Assessment is a tool that is used purposely to examine the learning performance of learners for individual feedback and other adjustments in teaching and learning. Assessment is a continuous and ongoing process where all learners must be assessed to examine their understandings in relation to what they have learnt. The learners should be assessed by the end of every units or topics and terms to promotes effective learning and makes learning enjoyable.

Assessment is a tool for measuring the learnersā€™ understandings, knowledge and skills on a concept learnt. Making adjustment to the teaching strategies a teacher use and making judgement whether the learner can move to the next level are both made from the assessment results.

During the process of learning, after every lesson I assess students in order to see whether my teaching style match with their learning styles or not.

1 Like

Assessment is a means of monitoring whether learning has taken place. it can carried out continuously while teaching is taking place or periodically at the end of a learning period e.g. semester or at the end of the course. It serves to give feedback on how effective the teaching/learning was and whether the learner has been able to achieve the learning outcome

1. Assessment is an evaluation of achievement of expected learning outcomes by the learners.
  2. It should be undertaken during the process of learning (formative) and at the end of the learning encounter/end of term/semester (summative) assessment.

I would say assessment is actually evaluating whether the learners have learned and understood what they have been taught and if so, then the learning objectives of what has been taught is achieved. Assessment also distinguishes the learnersā€™ capability or different levels of understanding and performances.
Usually, assessments done are formative, that is they are being done during the learning process and summative, which means the learners are assessed at the end of a course.
We assess learners to see if they have learned, understood and have acquired the skills that they had been taught and also if we have achieved the courseā€™s learning objectives and outcomes.

Assessment is the way teacher gathers data about their teaching and their students learning.
I assess students many time during the learning process. That is formative assessment to gauge learners understanding and adjust and re- teach concepts not understood.
Assessment is also taken at the end of the unit -summative assessment to ensure that students have achieved the learning objectives.
Assessment helps teachers to adjust teaching strategies and also ensure that students are learning. Assessments also helps students to know what they need to do to improve their learning.

I understand that assessment is a way of evaluating the learning of students which gives feedback to the teachers about the concepts that need to be retaught so that students become more confident therefore effective remedial lessons can be designed.
Students assessment begins as they start learning but assessment methods differ. Some concepts are assessed informally and some assessments are done formally. Informal assessments are oral presentations or question answer sessions where as formal ones are the summative exams.

Assessments will show the understanding of students. there should be a continuous assessment both formative and summative

1. Assessment is a process of gathering data to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of student learning . It is more than grading and is about measuring the progress of student learning.

2. Assessment plays an important role in the process of learning and motivation. The types of assessment tasks that we ask our students to do determine how students will approach the learning task and what study behaviorā€™s they will use.
    In terms of when to assess learners, it is best to undertake assessment during the process of undertaking the activity to ensure that effective learning is taking place and at the end of the activity to ensure that learning objectives are achieved .
    This approach ensures that the activity remains on course and that desired goals are achieved at the end.

Assessment is the way to evaluate, interpreting something and using information to increase knowledge and the development of students.

Assessment begins topic by topic after teaching to test students whether they really get into the point or just by floating around. It is an ongoing learning which will help students in acquiring knowledge.

Assessment in education refers to the systematic process of gathering information and evidence to evaluate a learnerā€™s knowledge, skills, and abilities. It involves various methods, including tests, quizzes, assignments, observations, and discussions, to measure a studentā€™s progress and understanding of the course material.
Formative assessment occurs during the learning process and is ongoing, helping me understand my studentsā€™ strengths and weaknesses, adjust teaching methods, and provide timely feedback to guide their learning. Summative assessment typically occurs at the end of a unit or course, allowing me to evaluate the overall learning outcomes and assign grades. Assessment serves the crucial purpose of informing instruction, helping students track their progress, and ensuring that educational goals are being met, ultimately facilitating effective teaching and learning.