Principles of staff recruitment

You have done some reflection on how staff recruitment is conducted in your organisation. Read the ILO principles again. How does practice in your organisation meet the ILO principles?
Rate your organisational HR practice out of six, with one being poor and six being excellent. Give reasons for your rating.

Share your rating in the discussion forum.

The ILO meets most of the principles as equal opportunity is given for vacant position . The required certificate is verified before appointment.
I can rate 5 HR at my organization is very good.

I believe that the recruitment process followed by my institution is very much aligned to the ILO Standards and I will give a rating of 6. I have seen it as very transparent, fair and conducted on a very safe and an environment free form fear and bias. When recruitment process is conducted fairly with transparency, you will get the right man to do the work.

The International Labour Organization (ILO) provides principles and guidelines for fair and ethical labor practices. While the ILO principles are generally focused on broader labor practices, they can be applied to various sectors, including education. Here are the ILO principles and an assessment of how staff recruitment practices in schools in Fiji might align with them:

1. Freedom of Association and the Effective Recognition of the Right to Collective Bargaining:
  • Practice in Fiji Schools: Teachers and staff in Fiji typically have the right to join teachers’ unions and engage in collective bargaining.
  • Rating: 6 (Excellent). Fiji generally respects the right to collective bargaining in the education sector.
  1. Elimination of All Forms of Forced or Compulsory Labor:
  • Practice in Fiji Schools: Schools in Fiji do not engage in forced or compulsory labor practices.
  • Rating: 6 (Excellent). Fiji adheres to this principle, and schools uphold this standard.
  1. Effective Abolition of Child Labor:
  • Practice in Fiji Schools: Child labor is strictly prohibited, and schools do not employ underage children.
  • Rating: 6 (Excellent). Fiji, like most countries, does not engage in child labor practices in schools.
  1. Elimination of Discrimination in Respect of Employment and Occupation:
  • Practice in Fiji Schools: Fiji schools typically do not discriminate against employees based on factors such as gender, race, religion, or disability.
  • Rating: 5 (Good). While discrimination is generally not tolerated, there may still be room for improvement in terms of promoting diversity and inclusion in school staff recruitment.
  1. Equal Remuneration for Work of Equal Value:
  • Practice in Fiji Schools: Schools in Fiji aim to provide equal pay for equal work, but gender pay gaps and disparities may exist.
  • Rating: 4 (Fair). While efforts are made to provide equal remuneration, there may still be disparities in some cases that need to be addressed.
  1. Occupational Safety and Health:
  • Practice in Fiji Schools: Schools typically prioritize the safety and health of their staff, students, and the broader school community.
  • Rating: 6 (Excellent). Schools in Fiji generally place a strong emphasis on safety and health.

Overall Rating: 5 (Good)

Fiji schools generally align well with the ILO principles, with strong adherence to most principles. However, there is room for improvement in terms of eliminating potential discrimination, promoting diversity and inclusion, and addressing any existing gender pay disparities. While the practices in Fiji schools are generally good, ongoing efforts are needed to continuously align with international labor standards and improve HR practices to ensure fairness, equality, and safety for all staff members.

1 Like

Our HR Policy reads as follows:
The process of filling a vacancy shall be initiated by the CoDs/HoDs; who shall write a requisition to the HR Manager through the Dean of Faculty/ School and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (A&SA).

i. The HR Manager shall consult the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (AF&P) who in consultation with the Vice-Chancellor initiate recruitment process.

ii. Short listing of candidates will be done by the Departmental Board and HR Manager.

iii. The HR Manager shall invite the shortlisted candidates for an interview.

iv. In special cases, the HoD and Dean of School may head-hunt for an employee to join the School. This shall however apply to senior teaching staff i.e. Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, Associate Professor and Professors only. Other staff may be head-hunted in highly specialized and competitive fields. Permission must be granted by the Vice-Chancellor and such a candidate must be interviewed by a panel.

It has not clearly defined the required skill sets. I would rate at 3 compared to ILO principles. It is silent about special group of people like people living with disability, minority groups and marginalised communities

1. How My Organisation’s Recruitment Practice Aligns with ILO Principles:

a. Respect for Human Rights: The organisation respects internationally recognised human rights and labour standards in its recruitment processes. It ensures that all candidates are treated fairly, without discrimination or exploitation.

b. Compliance with Labor Regulations: The organisation’s recruitment policies are in accordance with both international and national labour regulations. It follows legal requirements related to labour recruitment.

c. Inclusivity and Transparency: The organisation aims to be inclusive and transparent in its recruitment process. It promotes fairness and efficiency by considering skills and qualifications and using written contracts.

d. Clear and Transparent Regulation: The recruitment process is guided by clear and transparent regulations and is effectively enforced. This ensures that there is no ambiguity in the process.

e. Clarity of Employment Terms: The terms and conditions of employment are clearly outlined in written contracts, adhering to national laws and regulations, ensuring that employees understand their rights and responsibilities.

f. Access to Grievance Mechanisms: The organisation provides workers with access to affordable grievance and dispute resolution mechanisms, emphasizing the importance of addressing any recruitment-related abuses and providing appropriate remedies.

1. Rating of Organizational HR Practice: 5 out of 6

Reasons for the Rating: The organisation’s HR practices align well with the ILO principles for fair recruitment. However, no system is perfect, and there is always room for improvement. The organisation demonstrates a strong commitment to respecting human rights, complying with labour regulations, and maintaining transparency in recruitment processes. Clear employment terms and access to grievance mechanisms are also in place. The reason for not giving a perfect score is that there is always room for improvement, and the organization should continuously strive to enhance its recruitment practices to better meet the ILO principles. Regular evaluations and fine-tuning of these processes would help the organization move closer to an “excellent” rating.

I am sure that my organisation has and have been following the same principles given.

I would rate our organisation by 5.

In every organisation there is always a flaw that may arise. People make mistakes and I believe there is always room for development.

Im syre that my organization have followed the ILO …but there is some rooms of improvement

i would rate my organisation by 5
my organisation has been following the same principles given.
i believe that there is room for improvement because humans make mistakes

I believe that the recruitment process followed in my organization has been following the same principles given. I would rate my organization by 5. Although the process has been followed, there are some mistakes and I believe there is always room for improvement and development.

I will award a score of six since I think my institution’s hiring procedure closely adheres to the ILO Standards. In my opinion, it has been quite clear, equitable, and carried out in a setting free from prejudice and fear. The correct man will be hired to complete the task if the hiring process is carried out impartially and thoroughly.

I find that my institution’s recruitment process closely adheres to the standards set by the International Labour Organization (ILO), and I would rate it as highly effective, scoring a 6 out of 6. The process is characterized by its transparency, fairness, and a commitment to fostering a safe and unbiased environment. A recruitment procedure that operates with such transparency and equity is more likely to identify and select the most qualified individuals for the job, ensuring the right candidate is chosen to fulfill the role.

Sound assessment of Human resources practices in Fiji. I am happy that whilst the practices are positive, you identify areas where improvement is still needed.

Most of you confirm that recruitment policies followed in your countries closely adhere to ILO principles. This means appropriate staff is recruited and deployed to your schools.

I believe that the recruitment process followed by the organization. It has been following the same standards aligned to the ILO. I would rate my organization by 6. For following the processes but still there is a room for improvement and development

I am sure that my organisation has and have been following the same principles given.

I would rate our organisation by 5.

In every organisation there is always a flaw that may arise. People make mistakes and I believe there is always room for development.

The International Labour Organization provides principles and guidelines for fair and ethical labor practices. I believe that my organization have the same principles given for ILO. Thus, I would rate our organization as 5. In every organization there should be transparency to all the members. People do make mistakes and I believe there is always room for improvement.

I gave the rating as 5 since there are some issues that needs to be in line with the ILO.

Yes Sir, actually the policies are properly stated, and we adhere on to the ILO.

In Fiji the proper labor recruitment follows up the policy stated by the ILO, but still there’s room of improvement for the recruiters and also to the employees, and if I rated it will be 5 out of 6.