Purposes of assessment

I like your idea of balancing assessment types, making your criteria clear, and aligning assessments with learning objectives. These aspects you mention help reduce the anxiety associated with assessment.

1. According to the video clip, I find assessment OF learning is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in learners.

2. Assessment has positive and negative sides. However, it is part of the education system. Some Advantages are convenient, can be adopted and implemented quickly, reduces or eliminates faculty time demands in instrument development and
    grading, provide reference group measures. and can test large numbers of students. On the other hand, some disadvantages are measures relatively superficial knowledge or learning and more summative than formative (may be difficult to isolate what changes.

3. I would recommend that assessments must be selected carefully based on faculty review and determination of match between test content and curriculum content.

According to the video clip, Assessment of Learning is more like to cause panic and anxiety to the learners. This can lead to worry.and stressful feeling in students.

1. Here are some strengths and weaknesses I have encountered in my lessons/ courses:

Strengths of my assessment:

A. Learning occours during my day to day teaching. Here students can be corrected from their mistakes and frequent feedbacks provided to the learner.

B. It provides a feedback to what and how a teacher will enhance the learning.

C. It shows students performance and areas for improvement.

D. Competitions amongst learners to get used to assessments.

However, I have also encountered some weaknesses of my assessment:

A. Relying too heavily on summative assessment. Putting pressure on students to reach the class target and school target set.

B. Unfair for slow/ struggling learners.

C. Time consuming to prepare and mark the assessment papers for large class roll.

1. As a classroom teacher, I would create a positive and productive learning environment. I will emphasize more on growth mindset and more positive energy by letting my students feel relaxed before an assessment. As the facilitator, I will help my students so that they feel less anxious. Students to get up and move around or attempt motivational activity before as assessment to lighten students mood.

According to the video clip; assessment of learning is likely to cause panic and anxiety amongst the learners. Assessment in the classroom serves as a crucial tool for evaluating students’ learning progress, understanding their strengths and weaknesses, and informing instructional decisions. However, like any tool, it comes with its own set of strengths and weaknesses. Here are some of them:

Strengths of Classroom Assessment:

1. Feedback and Improvement: Assessments provide timely feedback to both students and teachers. This feedback loop allows students to understand their performance and areas for improvement, and it helps teachers to adjust their teaching strategies accordingly.
  2. Learning Alignment: Well-designed assessments align with learning objectives and instructional strategies. This ensures that what is being taught is effectively measured and that assessments reflect the desired learning outcomes.
  3. Motivation and Engagement: Assessments can motivate students to engage with the material and take their learning seriously. The prospect of being evaluated can encourage students to study, complete assignments, and participate in class activities.
  4. Identifying Learning Gaps: Through assessments, teachers can identify specific areas where students may be struggling or need additional support. This allows for targeted interventions to address learning gaps.
  5. Accountability: Assessments can hold both students and teachers accountable for their respective roles in the learning process. They provide evidence of whether learning objectives are being met.
  6. Diverse Assessment Methods: There are various types of assessments (e.g., formative, summative, diagnostic) and formats (e.g., quizzes, essays, projects) that cater to different learning styles and preferences.

Weaknesses of Classroom Assessment:

1. Limited Scope: Assessments may not capture the full spectrum of a student’s abilities or understanding. Some forms of assessment may be better suited to certain types of learners.
  2. Bias and Subjectivity: The process of assessment can introduce biases, both conscious and unconscious. Factors like cultural background, language proficiency, or socioeconomic status can impact assessment outcomes.
  3. Overemphasis on Memorization: Some assessments may focus on rote memorization rather than critical thinking, problem-solving, or application of knowledge, which can limit a student’s ability to transfer learning to new contexts.
  4. Stress and Anxiety: High-stakes assessments, particularly if not balanced with formative assessments, can create anxiety and stress in students, potentially affecting their performance.
  5. Time Constraints: The time required to administer and grade assessments can be a limiting factor in terms of coverage and depth of the material that can be assessed.
  6. Cheating and Plagiarism: In some cases, students may resort to dishonest practices in order to perform well on assessments, which can compromise the integrity of the assessment process.
  7. Inadequate Reflection of Real-world Skills: Traditional assessments may not always reflect the skills and knowledge required in real-world scenarios, particularly in dynamic, problem-solving contexts.

It’s important for educators to be aware of these strengths and weaknesses in order to use assessments effectively and make adjustments as needed to support meaningful learning experiences for all students. Additionally, employing a variety of assessment methods can help mitigate some of the limitations associated with any one particular type of assessment.

2 Likes

Assessment of learning is the cause of panic and anxiety in learners. Unfortunately, engineering has a strong summative assessment component. The final exam is what makes every student nervous. While, we cannot get away from this; however, we can make our continuous assessments more formative oriented. This will allow the students to learn from their mistakes and make improvements. For example, in my course we mark the first lab and give critical feedback to the students. Generally, the students do not get good marks in the first lab. However, after receiving the feedback, they work on addressing the shortfalls and submit labs in which they later get good marks.

According to the video clip, assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic in learners.

Strengths
-competing within themselves
-developing learning skills

Weaknesses
-create stress due to the fear of failure
-inconsistency of student performance

In order to improve this weakness, I would emphasize a growth mindset and stressing that assessment is a learning tool not just a judgement.

According to the vedio i believe Assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in learners. This affects the learners emotionally causing stress and pain in students.
During my teaching i encountered some strength and weakness in assessing students.

1. My strength
    After every topic or unit i assessed my learners. Before that i make sure they understanding well every topic, unit and strand by delivering content effectively to the level of every learners. Also i marked and gave back their assignments papers within the day or the next day before begin with new topic. This helps the learners to know their mistakes and motivates them to learn more. By doing that I’ve noticed that students learn happily and effectively. Their results reflects what i teach and how much effort I invested. If they done well in ongoing assessment, then there wont be any problem for summative assessment also.

2. My weakness

• students absenteeism is a problem i encountered in teaching and assessing learners. Few students are fond of missing classes without any good reason. This creates extra work load compared to the number of learners and time available. Sometimes i make attempt to teach them but most times i never due to time factor. These students find difficulty in doing assessment which result in scoring low marks. This sometimes cause pain and discourage them from learning.

To avoid bad feeling about assessment i believe the assessment must be designed in way that can caters every learners capability. All questions and criterias must be set out clearly. Where each learners can be able to understand and attempt. Also all questions must be based on what they have learned and what they know. Design in a logic sequence including all levels of questioning (Bloom’s taxonomy). To make sure every learners enjoy what you provide.

1 Like
  1. The assessment that is more likely to cause panic and anxiety is assessment for learning.
  2. I use both assessment of learning and assessment for learning. The main weakness in the way I assess is that because of the large number of students even assessment of learning is used for accountability as opposed to improvement. Students are not given immediate to use it for improvement.
  3. How to minimise bad feeling about assessment from developing by minimising assessment of learning and improving on assessment for learning. This calls for increased progressive feedback to student so that they can improve on their performance. Assessment of learning should be given more weight than assessment for learning in decision making about the learner.

I would say that the assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic and anxiety for our learners because it is where learners can be judged for their academic performances and be compared to others.

We do assessment of learning and the main weaknesses in this area is that students are being compared to other students because of their achievements, therefore students who performed poorly can be affected and this can affect them for life. The main strength is that the assessment determines positions for scholarships or spaces in schools especially if the intake is limited.

A.quiz is the main assessment I use everyday in class.

Main strength

1. Learners look forward of the result. This shows that learning takes place.
  2. Motivate students, let them decide what to do next.
  3. Assess learners anytime during class, before or at the end of each lesson.
  4. Provide data for learners and facilitators for improving learning

Main weakness

1. Create learners’ fear, anxiety, stress.
  2. Learners develop bad feelings about themselves, eg. not smart.
  3. Not carefully designed.
  4. Time consuming, reduce.the lesson session

To avoid or minimize bad feelings of my students these are the strategies I had used

1. Keep telling them that the assessment is not a final score, it is for them to see how far they had gone with their studies and to find ways to improve.
  2. Practicing and revising similar questions before the final one to be recorded.

According to the video clip Assessment OF causes panic and anxiety to the learners or students.

Assessment is an integral part of the learning process. It helps teachers and learners to evaluate the effectiveness of teaching and learning. There are different types of assessments, such as formative and summative assessments. Formative assessments are used to monitor student learning and provide feedback to improve their performance.

Assessment can be a stressful experience for learners, especially if they feel that their performance will be judged harshly. To avoid or minimize bad feelings about assessment from developing in your learners, what we can tho is create some strategies that can enhance learners to capitalize on learning.

1. Provide clear expectations: Make sure that your learners know what is expected of them in terms of assessment. Provide them with clear guidelines and rubrics so that they know how they will be assessed.
  2. Provide feedback: Provide your learners with regular feedback on their performance. This will help them to identify areas where they need to improve and build their confidence.
  3. Encourage self-assessment: Encourage your learners to assess their own performance. This will help them to take ownership of their learning and develop a growth mindset.
  4. Use a variety of assessment methods: Use a variety of assessment methods, such as quizzes, tests, essays, and projects. This will help to reduce the stress associated with high-stakes testing.
  5. Create a positive learning environment: Create a positive learning environment that is supportive and inclusive.
    This will help our learners to feel comfortable and confident in their ability to learn.

Assessment of Learning will cause panic and anxiety in my learners.

The strengths are that students will know in which category they fall and work harder to aim for more marks.

The weaknesses are that they will have low self esteem and think they will not be able to achieve their goal so they will keep falling back.

1.Assessment of learning is the cause of panic and anxiety in learners.

1. Strengths:
    -Provides additional ways for the students to develop
  • Formative assessment
    -Timely feed back
  • Competition

Weakness:
-Time management
-Imperfect assessment of skills
-Unfair for struggling learners

3.Assessments must be designated wisely based on ability evaluation and determination to match amongst test content and syllabus content.

Assessment OF learning will cause panic and anxiety to students because it is done right in the end, and you as the educator do not know where your students stands in terms of their performance.

In my lesson I always conduct FOR assessment to assess my students because
strength
Children still have the knowledge and also as an educator you will know where your students are (areas of improvement)
Weaknesses
Time consuming (preparing test papers when the syllabus is not yet finished, the making of papers)

According to the video clip, Assessment of is more likely to cause panic and anxiety to learners.
Strength:
Student will be working hard and try to get more from what they are achieving and also parents will feel joyful on the success of the learner.
Weaknesses:
Learner will not feel good inside the classroom also some children will point their finger to the unsuccessful learner and can cause school drop out to the learner.
The way we can avoid the bad feelings of learner about the assessment is to tell them that assessment is the method used by the teacher to assess your understanding

1.From the video ASSESSMENT OF LEARNING is more likely to cause panic and anxiety for learners.
2.Strengths; students will be accountable for their work and be motivated to do better for the next assessment. Students are driven to learn more in order to get better grades.
Weakness: Assessment bring out comparison where student differentiate the learning ability of each other.
3. We can develop varies Assessment format in order to minimize negative feeling towards assessment; such as quiz, projects ,Hands on Activities.

1. Assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic in learners. This form of assessment may be used to determine a learners progress in his/her studies or to determine success.
  2. Strengths of my assessment- I give notice of intended assessment thus allowing learners to prepare. I also state the purpose of assessment so that learners know how the assessment outcome will be used. Sometimes I give take away assessment where a learner has the opportunity to consult peers and other resources which helps them learn. Weaknesses of my assessment- delay in giving feedback to learners, apportioning scores without letting the learner know why they may have been wrong.
  3. Giving learners another chance to try again, providing career guidance to provide learners with appropriate options and not grading assessment outcomes whenever possible

. According to the video clip the form of assessment that is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in the learners is the assessment of learning. Students will have more intense feeling of what others will think of them when comparing results with their classmates. They may also panic in the fear of failing, lack of preparation a history of performing poorly on test. They may also panic that if they did not perform well they may not be promoted to the next level or find a suitable job

2. I assess my students in both ways formative and summative.

They both have their own pro’s and con’s

Advantages and disadvantages of formative assessments

Advantages of formative assessment

formative assessments are not graded

teachers are able to check for understanding, therefore if a student is struggling during a lesson they can get the help they need in class.

If teachers are able to provide ongoing feedback, the students are able to make changes to their learning style or even adapt or change the way they are doing something, without being graded.

increased student engagement

personalized learning experiences

self-regulated learners and data-driven decisions.

Disadvantages of Formative Assessment

If formative assessment is implemented well there is little to none disadvantages of formative assessment. Some of the downfalls, however, include;

not having enough time to assess during a lesson

teachers feel rushed to complete a lesson

teachers may lack training on how to use formative assessment and if a teacher consistently uses formative assessment in their classroom, the students may not take it seriously.

Advantages and disadvantages of summative assessment.

Advantages of summative assessment

Some of the key advantages of summative assessments are:

A clear and effective measurement of learning outcomes

Promotes accountability both for students and teachers

Allows teachers to make data-driven and informed decisions

Fosters a holistic and comprehensive learning environment

Inculcates a sense of accomplishment in students

Motivates students to promote self-growth and learning

Prepare students for real-world situations and challenges

Generates systemized feedback for improvement and adjustments

Promotes teachers to maintain consistent educational quality and standards

Enhances student retention through focused revisions and reviews

Disadvantages of summative Assessment

Some of the major drawbacks of summative assessments are:

Places students and learners in a high-pressure environment

Lack of personalized learning pace and environment

Encourages students to score marks and neglect in-depth learning

Rely on a singular performance, disregarding gradual growth over time

Leads students and learners to take up test anxiety

Limited and narrow range of assessment methods

3. How to minimize bad feeling about assessment

Strategies

Following are general strategies that focus on eliminating, reducing, or modifying high stakes testing in an effort to reduce student anxiety.

Eliminate high stakes testing

Where possible, use alternate forms of assessment to determine student learning. These can include:

Problem sets

Writing assignments

Contribution to discussion forums

Individual or team project

Reduce high stakes testing

The principle behind this strategy is to lower the impact of each exam score. Examples:

Add lower stakes quizzing or other assignments to the course grade total.

Consider dropping the lowest exam score or 1 or 2 lowest quiz scores.

Modify high-stakes testing

Create conditions that make high-stakes exams less stressful for students. Options to consider:

Allow open notes for an examination.

Allow students to retake assessments for partial or full points or perhaps an unlimited number of times (if automatically graded) until they receive a passing score.

Use collaborative or group exams. Research on collaborative exams have found that they can enhance student learning and reduce student test-taking anxiety (Pandey, 2011).

Allow adequate time for timed assessments. (To approximate timing, take the exam yourself with a timer, fully writing out all answers and responses, then multiply that time by 3-4).

Allow students to choose when they take online timed assessments, say within a 24-hour period.

According to the video Assessment of Learning is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in my learners.

Strengths- I have both formative and summative assessments. Students are asked oral questions during the lesson and after the lesson which clarifies their doubts and assists them with their learning. Students are also given consolidation questions every Friday where they work on questions based on the topics and concepts learnt that particular week. Students are positive as learning takes place and students are preparing for their summative assessment.
Feedbacks are also given at the same time which motivates students and helps them in their learning process.
Weakness in my assessment - Summative assessments determine students positions. I feel apart from just written tests their should be some other forms of assessments such as practicals, debates , dramas etc. which can be added to the final grade of students.
Students with different abilities sit for the same paper.

I agree with you on the weaknesses where students will have a low self-esteem and will not be motivated to perform well therefore it is important that we help the learners to minimise bad feelings about assessment. We can do this by clear Communication whereby we ensure that assessment criteria and expectations are clearly communicated to learners in advance. This includes rubrics, grading scales, and assessment guidelines or we can have the students involve in the assessment process where we allow them to self-assess, peer-assess or even co-create assessment criteria. This empowers them and makes the process more transparent. Another thing is to use various assessment methods to cater to different learning styles and abilities.