Purposes of assessment

Watch the video clip on the following link and post your answer to the following questions in the discussion forum: https://youtu.be/_wvRJyTExVU 8

According to the video clip, which of the two forms of assessment is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in your learners?Think about how you assess in your lessons and courses. What do you see as the main strengths and the main weaknesses of how you assess? Post your answer in the discussion forum. Also read what your peers have posted.Discuss with a colleague how you would avoid or minimise bad feelings about assessment from developing in your learners? You can do this virtually.

1 Like

According to the video Assessment of Learning is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in many learners. This information reaffirms and helps me to understand why there is evidence of grey area of high rate of missing marks for formative assessment data in each assessment period. Understanding the possible causes of fear and anxiety faced by the students is crucial. Listed below are some common causes.

1. Background of students. Knowing each student’s family background and challenges they face will affect their mental and social emotion wellbeing.

2.Preparedness for the assessment tasks.

3.Basic literacy and numeracy levels.

4.Intellectual learning difficulty

5.High students and teacher absenteeism.

With the above causes this has caused students will have lower self esteem to complete assessment tasks and therefore academic one on one consultation can help address the concern and boost the confidence level about the assessment tasks. Also ,with prior discussions of clear guidelines and expectations of assessment with clear communication such as clear prompts, rubrics, grading scales and group work strategies will reduce the anxiety and fear levels. Using other forms of assessment such as self-assess or peer assessment is more student centred with teacher support which allows students to be proactive in managing their emotions. Using differentiated learning strategies accommodates for diverse learners and can be strengthened and by realistic assessment methods to accommodate for the diverse learners. This strengthens equity education.

Assessment OF learning creates or causes panic and anxiety to Students as it mainly focuses on grading Students.

• STRENGTHS
  • Emphasize on application of knowledge
    -provides a higher and qualitative learning standards for Students
  • WEAKNESSES
    -Time consuming
    -Affects Students self esteem
    -Pushing Students off to the edge

• Overall,as Teachers we should create a favorable and productive learning environment by incorporating a balanced approach of assessment which can promote a more comprehensive understanding of Students progress,Moreover, we need to be fair by giving chances to Students to improve.

1 Like
  1. I think assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in learners because it, in a way, grades the learners.

2. Strengths

• Helps me to identify the weak learners.
  • Motivates learners as they are rewarded at class level.
  • Gives learners a feel of assessment.
  • An opportunity to use different types of questions
  • Helped in improving reading and learning.

Weaknesses
*Maybe time consuming

• At times it gives a feeling of wasting resources when few learners do not bother to work for it.
  • Have to cater for slow learners too in the same assessment.
  1. Keep on encouraging slow learners, give moral talk everyday, give reward for achievement or improvement and as educators be fair.
1 Like

According to the video, i believe Assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in learners.This assessment is a very important component of the education system to assess the achievement of students and fulfill the learning outcomes.

The strength of the above assessment is that the teacher and student will know at which category the child falls and what can be done to improve on the low performances.

The weaknesses is that it is time consuming whereby some may not be able to complete on time.Students will also feel bad when the results don’t come as expected.

However we need to incorporate a balanced approach which includes formative assessment, ongoing feedback and assessment for learning which can promote a more holistic understanding of students progress.In assessment of learning children to be given extra time to complete the assessment. Study guides are given as children are aware of what types of activities will be there such as multiple choice, true or false, matching etc. Revision is also conducted before exams.

You are correct, one has to balance the different forms of assessment. But also it is important to adopt forms of assessment that make learners feel less anxious and more confident of taking assessment tasks. Examples would be avoiding allocating all final grade based only on summative assessment, giving learners clear information upfront on how they will be assessed, giving learners enough time to prepare for assessment tasks, providing learners with enough learning resources and other forms of support to prepare for summative assessment, and providing learners with a second chance when they do not do well in their first attempt.

1 Like

Learning activity 1
The assessment of learning can cause panic and anxiety amongst students since it is conducted for grading at the end of the learning process. It also focuses on determining how much have the students understood during the learning process. According to the video comparison assessment of learning compares students. It can enable a student develop the idea that they are not smart. The assessment of learning is also about accountability as it is prepared and marked by the teacher from which students are graded. The assessment for learning improves students learning where teacher is a facilitator and focuses on improving students understanding by telling them what to do.
The lessons conducted have activity questions so that lesson objectives can be achieved. When lesson is conducted different questions are asked during the lesson so that students can respond to the questions where they also have different activities. The strengths of the assessment conducted are when students respond to the questions it provides feedback on student’s knowledge about the topic. When students do group activity they discuss amongst each other and write the answers as they also do group presentation. The lesson is prepared focusing on student centered activities so that they effectively construct their knowledge based on the prior knowledge they have about the topic.
During the end of the lesson students reflect on their understanding about the topic which is recap phase of the lesson. It enables to reflect on the effectiveness of the lesson and derive strategies which can improve student learning. The assessment is conducted during the lesson where formative and summative assessment is also conducted. The assessment strategies can be improved where students are explained about the importance of assessment so that they do not develop anxiety about the assessment. It can also be improved by using different forms of assessment during the lesson where different activities can enable students reflect on their understanding about the topic.
The bad feelings about assessment developing amongst the students can be minimized when students are explained about different types of assessment. When students know about different types of assessments conducted they will prepare for the assessments effectively. It will decrease anxiety amongst students about assessment as they would know it is part of the learning process. When assessment is used to improve the learning of students they would understand that assessment enables them to reflect about their understanding from which they can prepare for summative assessment. During the lesson when students develop knowledge after reflecting from their prior knowledge it would be easier for them to understand that assessment is for learning.

1. Assessment of learning is about accountability. The performance of a child is compared with others. This type of assessment is more likely to make the child feel bad about his/her performance. Assessment for learning is about improvement. This type of assessment helps children improve it also gives the idea to students about how to improve their performance. Therefore, from the video clip, I think that assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic and anxiety to learners. In this type of assessment.

2. I assess my students using varieties of approaches. I focus more on giving formative assessments so that children learn as they progress further.
    Strengths
    • Provides feedback about child’s learning
    • Helps me to identify the weaker learners
    • Increased student engagement
    Weakness
    • Lack of resources available to conduct
    • Time consuming

3. To avoid or minimize bad feelings about assessment from developing in my learners I will try to:
    • Provide morale support to students in order to encourage them about assessment
    • Acknowledge their participation
    • Reward them for showing improvement
    • Being fair to everyone

Assessment is the systematic basis for making inferences about the learning and the development of students. After watching the video clip, I believe Assessment OF learning is cost more panic and anxiety in learners.
Assessment use to assess students learning. I assess my students using these two types of assessment.
Some of the strength with this assessment is that:

• Improved relationships between teachers and students.
  • Improved attainment and achievement.
  • Improved confidence, resilience, and self-esteem amongst learners.
  • Improved classroom culture and teaching and learning environments.
  • Improved productivity and sense of motivation.

[Assessment for learning is a continuous process that establishes measurable and clear student learning outcomes, provides learning opportunities to achieve these outcomes, and uses systematic ways of gathering, analyzing, and interpreting evidence to determine how well student learning matches expectations]

Some of weakness with this assessment is that:

• More costly in time and effort.
  • May hinder curriculum change if it means that exam would have to be revised.
  • Vulnerable to student theft and distribution.
  • May limit what can be measured.
  • Eliminates the process of learning and clarification of goals and objectives typically associated with local development of measurement instrument.

According to the video, assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic in learners.
Assessing in my lessons and courses likely involves a mix of assessment methods. Here are some strengths and weaknesses I encounter in my assessment approach:
The strengths are that students will know in which category they fall and work harder to aim for more marks and get lot of praises from teachers and parents as well.

The weaknesses are that they will have low self esteem and think they can’t achieve their goal so there can be drop out.

According to the video, assessment of learning, which is often associated with high-stakes summative assessments, is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in learners. These assessments are typically used to measure the final outcomes or achievements of learners and carry significant weight in determining grades or progress. The pressure to perform well can lead to increased stress and anxiety.

Regarding how I assess in my lessons and courses, the main strengths of my assessment approach may include:

1. Providing clear expectations: I strive to communicate the assessment criteria and expectations clearly to learners. This helps them understand what is required and reduces confusion.

2. Offering constructive feedback: I aim to provide timely and constructive feedback to learners. Feedback helps them understand their strengths and areas for improvement, supporting their learning progress.

3. Using a variety of assessment methods: I incorporate various assessment methods to cater to different learning styles and preferences. This allows learners to showcase their understanding and skills in different ways.

However, there may also be weaknesses in my assessment approach, including:

1. Limited formative assessment opportunities: If I focus too heavily on summative assessments, learners may not have enough opportunities for ongoing feedback and reflection throughout the learning process.

2. Overemphasis on grades: If grades are the primary focus of assessments, it can create an environment where learners become overly fixated on the end result rather than the learning process itself.

To address these weaknesses and minimize negative feelings about assessment, I can consider the following strategies:

1. Increase formative assessment opportunities: Incorporate more formative assessments throughout the course to provide ongoing feedback and support learners’ progress. This helps reduce anxiety by giving learners a chance to improve and grow.

2. Emphasize the learning process: Shift the focus to the learning journey rather than solely on grades. Encourage learners to reflect on their growth, set personal goals, and value the process of learning.

3. Promote self-assessment and peer assessment: Encourage learners to engage in self-assessment and peer assessment activities. This allows them to take ownership of their learning, reflect on their progress, and provide feedback to their peers.

4. Provide a supportive environment: Create a safe and supportive classroom environment where learners feel comfortable expressing their concerns and seeking help. Encourage open communication and provide resources for managing stress and anxiety.

By implementing these strategies, I aim to create a more balanced and supportive assessment approach that focuses on learners’ growth and development, while minimizing anxiety and promoting a positive learning experience.

1). Assessment of learning will cause panic and anxiety in learners. It should only be done to measure the final outcome of what a student has learned throughout the year.

Strength
It shows where the student stands and will help the teacher know on what improvements are needed. (areas of improvement)

Weakness
It compares students
Time consuming

Purposes of Assessment
Assessments cause more panic amongst the students.

Strengths

• Provides additional way for students to show that they know and can do.
  • Emphasis on reasoning skills.
  • More engaging active involvement of students.

Weaknesses

• Difficult to plan for amount of time needed.
  • Limited ability to generalize to a larger domain of knowledge.
  • Requires considerable teacher time to prepare and student time to complete.

How to avoid or minimize bad feelings about assessment from developing in your learners

• Prioritize classroom preparation efforts.

• Ask students where their fear is coming from any talk it over.

• Keep things in perspective.

• Empower students with simple strategies to reduce anxiety.

• Teach effective test-taking strategies.

• Help students create a study schedule.

• Focus on the positives.

1. The video clip discusses about two form of assessment: Assessment of learning and assessment for learning. Assessment of learning will cause more panic in students as that is carried out at the end of the course and it does not give chance to improve, however, assessment for learning is carried out during the course, thus, it does give chance to students to see their own progress and improve and also teachers can use different strategies to bring in positive result.
  2. Assessment can be done individually, in pairs or even in groups. To know a particular child’s performance then have to assess individually. Individual assessment strength could be: deeper understanding/ capability of the child’s performance, on the other side, weakness could be: losing interest in the subject if got less marks. Group assessment can help weaker learners to be in the group, discuss and learn together.
  3. Keep students positive vibes, encourage students to learn effectively so that the fear of assessment is not there as their study is solid.

I think Assessment of Learning will cause more panic and anxiety among our students.
Assessment in my lesson is done both Summative and Formative depending on the topic that is for discussion.

According to video clip, the assessment type that may cause panic and anxiety to learners is assessment OF learning.
Learners see teachers as the judge of the learning process.

1. Assessment of leaning is more likely to cause panic amongst the learners when summative assessment is used to make judgements on student achievement.
  2. Strengths - variety of strategies used for assessment, giving timely feedbacks, designing and using authentic assessment methods
    Weakness - assessment can make the learners fatigue thus may not take assessments seriously this leads them to be absent on the day of assessment.

.1. Assessment OF learning. It is “backward looking” meaning it is based on past performances. The Teacher is the judge, it compares students, it sends messages that a student might not be smart as other students.
2. We still use Assessment of learning in Fiji where we test our students during our mid-year, annual, and external exams. The strength of Assessment OF learning is that it is used to gather relevant information about student performance or progress, the main weakness is that it focuses on a timed period where students sit a two or three hour paper (theory based).

Assessment of learning, particularly high-stakes summative assessments, is more likely to cause panic and anxiety in learners. These assessments are often associated with significant consequences, such as grades, academic progression, or even future opportunities, which can create pressure and stress for students.

High-stakes assessments, like final exams or standardized tests, can make learners anxious due to the fear of failure or not meeting expectations. The pressure to perform well can lead to feelings of panic, stress, and anxiety. Students may worry about the impact of their performance on their academic record, future opportunities, and even their self-esteem.

In contrast, assessment for learning (formative assessment) is designed to be supportive and informative. It aims to help learners understand their strengths and areas for improvement, providing feedback to guide their learning process. Formative assessments, when used effectively, can actually help alleviate anxiety by providing opportunities for students to learn from their mistakes and improve their understanding in a supportive environment.

However, it’s important to note that even formative assessments, if not conducted in a supportive and constructive manner, can cause anxiety in learners. For example, if students perceive formative assessments as punitive or if they fear negative consequences from poor performance, they may still experience anxiety. Therefore, the way assessments are designed, communicated, and integrated into the learning process plays a crucial role in determining their impact on students’ anxiety levels.

1. Strengths & Weakness
    Assessment for Learning is an educational approach that emphasizes using assessment as a tool to support and enhance student learning. It focuses on providing feedback and guidance to students during the learning process, rather than simply measuring their performance at the end of a unit or course. The strength of Assessment for Learning lies in several key aspects:
  1. Feedback and Improvement:
    Assessment for learners provides timely and specific feedback to students about their strengths and areas for improvement. This feedback is used by students to make necessary adjustments and improvements in their learning strategies and understanding of the subject matter.
  2. Student Engagement:
    Assessment for learners actively involves students in the assessment process. When students understand the learning objectives and criteria for success, they can actively engage in their own learning journey. This involvement increases their motivation and willingness to learn.
  3. Targeted Support:
    Assessment for learners helps teachers identify students who may be struggling and require additional support. By recognizing specific areas where students are having difficulty, teachers can provide targeted interventions to help these students catch up and succeed.
  4. Customization:
    Assessment for learners allows for customized teaching strategies based on individual student needs. Teachers can adapt their instruction methods and learning materials to address the specific challenges and strengths of each student.
  5. Formative Assessment:
    Assessment for learners primarily uses formative assessments, which are ongoing assessments conducted throughout the learning process. These assessments are designed to monitor student learning and provide feedback that can be used to modify teaching and learning activities in real-time.
  6. Developing Metacognitive Skills:
    Assessment for learners encourages students to develop metacognitive skills, such as self-assessment and reflection. When students understand their own learning processes, they become better equipped to regulate their learning, leading to improved performance.
  7. Cultivating a Growth Mindset:
    Assessment for learners fosters a growth mindset in students by emphasizing that abilities and intelligence can be developed through dedication and hard work. This mindset shift can positively impact students’ attitudes towards learning and their willingness to take on challenges.
  8. Enhancing Teaching Practices:
    Assessment for learners, encourages teachers to reflect on their teaching methods and the effectiveness of their assessments. It promotes a continuous cycle of improvement, where teachers can refine their instructional strategies based on the outcomes of formative assessments.
    In summary, the strength of Assessment for Learning lies in its ability to empower students, inform teaching practices, and create a supportive learning environment where both students and teachers actively engage in the learning process.

While Assessment for Learning has several strengths, it also has some potential weaknesses and challenges. Here are a few:

1. Time-Consuming:
    Implementing effective Assessment for learners practices can be time-consuming. Teachers need to design and administer frequent formative assessments, provide timely feedback, and adjust their teaching strategies based on the assessment results. This can be challenging, especially when dealing with large class sizes and limited time.
  2. Standardization and Accountability: In some educational systems, there is a strong emphasis on standardized testing and accountability measures. Assessment for learners, being more focused on individualized student progress, may not always align perfectly with these standardized testing requirements, leading to tension between the two approaches.
  3. Resistance to Change:
    Shifting from traditional assessment methods to Assessment for learners can face resistance from teachers, students, and parents who are accustomed to more traditional grading systems. Changing mindsets and practices can be a slow and challenging process.
  4. Limited Resources:
    Some schools may lack the necessary resources, such as technology or training, to effectively implement Assessment for learners practices. Limited access to training and professional development opportunities can hinder teachers’ ability to incorporate Assessment for learners strategies into their classrooms.
  5. Assessment Literacy:
    Not all teachers may be well-versed in the principles and methods of effective formative assessment. Without proper training and understanding, they may struggle to implement Assessment for learners practices effectively, leading to suboptimal results.
  6. Overemphasis on Testing:
    In some cases, Assessment for learners might inadvertently lead to an overemphasis on testing and assessments, causing stress and anxiety among students. If not implemented thoughtfully, the focus on continuous assessment could become a source of pressure rather than a supportive learning tool.
  7. Quality of Feedback:
    Providing high-quality, specific, and actionable feedback to each student can be challenging, especially in large classes. Effective feedback requires time and effort to tailor it to individual student needs, which might not always be feasible in practice.
  8. Cultural and Linguistic Differences:
    Some assessment methods may not be culturally or linguistically appropriate for all students, leading to disparities in understanding and performance, especially in diverse classrooms.
  9. Data Interpretation:
    Collecting assessment data is one thing; interpreting and using the data effectively to inform instruction is another challenge. Teachers need training and support to make meaningful interpretations and adjustments based on the assessment results.

It’s important to note that these challenges are not inherent weaknesses of the Assessment for learners approach itself but rather issues that can arise during its implementation. Addressing these challenges often requires a combination of professional development, supportive school policies, and a commitment to a student-centered approach to learning and assessment.

1. Minimizing or avoiding negative feelings about assessments in learners is essential for promoting a positive and effective learning environment. Here are some strategies that educators can use to achieve this goal:

1. Clear Communication:

• Transparency: Clearly communicate the purpose, format, and expectations of the assessment beforehand. Students should understand what is being assessed and how it contributes to their learning.
  • Rubrics: Provide detailed rubrics outlining the criteria for assessment. This helps students understand the expectations and how they will be evaluated.

2. Formative Assessment:

• Regular Feedback: Provide frequent, constructive feedback on students’ progress. This helps them understand their strengths and areas for improvement, making the assessment process less daunting.
  • Peer Feedback: Encourage peer assessment and feedback. Learning from peers can be less intimidating and more relatable.

3. Diverse Assessment Methods:

• Varied Assessments: Use a variety of assessment methods like projects, presentations, quizzes, and discussions. This accommodates different learning styles and reduces the pressure associated with a single high-stakes exam.
  • Real-Life Application: Frame assessments around real-life situations or problems. When students see the relevance of what they are learning, they may find assessments more engaging and meaningful.

4. Student Involvement:

• Goal Setting: Involve students in setting their own learning goals. When they understand the purpose of assessments in achieving these goals, they may view assessments as tools for their own growth.
  • Choice: Provide options for assessments where possible. Allowing students to choose topics or presentation formats empowers them and increases their motivation.

5. Supportive Environment:

• Classroom Culture: Foster a supportive classroom environment where mistakes are viewed as opportunities to learn. Celebrate progress and effort, not just final outcomes.
  • Safe Space: Create a safe space for asking questions. A non-judgmental atmosphere encourages students to seek help, reducing anxiety related to assessments.

6. Mindfulness and Stress Reduction:

• Relaxation Techniques: Teach relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or mindfulness exercises to manage stress and anxiety during assessments.
  • Time Management: Help students develop good time management skills to reduce last-minute cramming and panic.

7. Reflective Practices:

• Self-Assessment: Encourage students to self-assess their work before submission. This reflection can enhance their understanding of their own learning process and reduce anxiety.
  • Feedback Sessions: Organize feedback sessions after assessments, discussing common mistakes and areas of improvement collectively. This normalizes the learning process and reduces feelings of inadequacy.
  1. Continuous Improvement:

Use Feedback: Collect feedback from students about the assessment process. Use this feedback to make necessary adjustments and improvements for future assessments.

By implementing these strategies, educators can create a positive assessment experience for their learners, fostering a growth mindset and a love for learning.

According to the video, assessment of learning is more likely to cause panic in learners
Strengths - students take account of his/her learning seriously and will always be confident to him/her studies. Teachers to boost their learning and motivate them.

Weaknesses - students might not be accountable for their attempt to improve. I